img-name-mising

Aubusson Castle

Castle, Medieval, Listed or registered (CNMHS), 11th century, 12th century, 13th century at Aubusson

  • The ruins of the château are commonly called 'the chapter'. The site of the chapter has a magnificent view over the town of Aubusson. The château was built between the 10th and 13th centuries by the Aubusson Viscounts and was one of the most remarkable fortresses of the Middle Ages. It was protected by an oval enclosure, five round towers and a drawbridge that crossed a large ditch. On Richelieu's orders, to prevent the Huguenots having any means of resistance, it was destroyed in 1632. Its...
    The ruins of the château are commonly called 'the chapter'. The site of the chapter has a magnificent view over the town of Aubusson. The château was built between the 10th and 13th centuries by the Aubusson Viscounts and was one of the most remarkable fortresses of the Middle Ages. It was protected by an oval enclosure, five round towers and a drawbridge that crossed a large ditch. On Richelieu's orders, to prevent the Huguenots having any means of resistance, it was destroyed in 1632. Its stones were used to build some of the houses in Aubusson as well as the Terrade bridge. Nothing remains except a wall of the rectangular keep, the attached wall and the base of the 13th century, square tower.

    Free entry to the Château ruins
Services
  • Equipment

    • Access for disabled
    • Car park
    • Parking nearby
  • Services

    • Animals accepted
    • Self-guided visits